Dr Natasha Campbell-McBride has developed dosage guidelines for supplementing probiotics based on the recommended daily dose of colony forming units per the below age cohorts. In addition to this, she has also configured a criteria on how to choose a probiotic and Gutbiome Synbiotic ticks every box based on the GAPS Probiotic Supplementation Criteria.
GAPS Probiotic Criteria
1. A probiotic containing a variety of strains - Gutbiome Synbiotic Powder contains 18 Beneficial microorganisms including yeast Saccharamyces Boulardii
2. A probiotic containing a mixture of different species - Gutbiome Synbiotic Powder contains a mixture of strains from 4 different species
3. A probiotic containing colony forming units strong enough to survive the acidic journey to the lower GIT with at least 8 billion CFU per serve - Gutbiome Synbiotic Powder contains 20 Billion CFU per serve (3 scoops) which allows for incremental dosing when introducing for the first time or for measuring different dosage requirements based on condition or age.
The daily dose for Gutbiome Synbiotic Powder is 20 Billion CFU (3 scoops). The below guidelines represented in this table is based on Dr Natasha Campbell-McBrides dosage recommendations for GAPS patients in supplementing Gutbiome Synbiotic but it does not include suggestions for higher doses recommended by Certified GAPS Practitioners and is not the specified dose suggested by Gutbiome Synbiotics. Please refer to a health care practitioner for guidelines specific to your healthcare needs.
Build the dose up slowly:
Start from a very small amount (as indicated in the Dosage table introductory dose) and increase the dose in small gradual increments as die off symptoms disappear. Keep increasing the dose until the full dose is reached. This period of building up the dose can take from a few weeks to a few months in different people but it all depends on your individual symptoms and most people can reach the full dose within 2-3 weeks. Specific conditions may require less or a higher therapeutic dose with one to two additional scoops added on top of the GAPS suggested dosage guide per age group and your Certified GAPS Practitioner can help you determine this dose. The full therapeutic dose should be maintained for six months to remove the pathogenic flora and re-establish healthy gut flora. After 6 months GAPS patients should continue taking a maintenance dose of probiotics for the rest of their life or continue on the therapeutic dose if immune compromised due to severe digestive disorders.
The best time to supplement Gutbiome Synbiotics:
First thing in the morning or last thing at night when stomach acid is at its lowest. Mix with water, juice smoothies or yoghurt. Do not supplement Gutbiome at the same time as consuming Sauerkraut or HCl & Pepsin (Betaine). These should be supplemented at different times with at least an hour (minimum) apart from one another.
Temporary and common reactions associated with mild bloating or flatulence when introducing a new probiotic may be signs that the microorganisms are remodeling your gutbiome with the introduction of new beneficial friendly bacteria and these symptoms will pass. For this reason we recommend introducing Gutbiome Synbiotics gradually in small incremental amounts over time.
Seek medical advice if diarrhoea persists for more than: 6 hrs in infants under 6 months, 12 hrs in children under 3 years, 24 hrs in children aged 3 to 6 years or 48 hrs in adults and children over 6 years.
Each 3g (3 scoops) of powder contains
Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG
Lactobacillus plantarum Lp-115
Lactobacillus acidophilus La-14
Bifidobacterium bifidum Bb-06
Bifidobacterium lactis Bl-04
Streptococcus thermophilus St-21
Bifidobacterium infantis Bi-26
Lactobacillus paracasei Lpc-37
Lactobacillus delbrueckii ssp bulgaricus. Lb-87
Lactobacillus brevis Lbr-35
Lactobacillus casei Lc-11
Lactobacillus salivarius ssp salivarius Ls-33
Lactobacillus reuterii KP-1E1
Lactobacillus gasseri Lg-36
Bifidobacterium breve Bb-03
Bifidobacterium longum Bl-05
Bifidobacterium lactis HN019
Saccharomyces cerevisiae (Boulardii)
Inulin (from chicory root)
Total count 20 Colony Forming Units (CFU)
Inulin is both a prebiotic and source of fibre
Contains no fillers or other hidden ingredients
Benefits: Gutbiome Synbiotics Powder
Helps to decrease, reduce and relieve diarrhoea in children 5
Helps reduce occurrence of symptoms of traveller’s diarrhoea 6
Helps to reduce the occurrence of symptoms of eczema and dermatitis in infants and children when taken prenatal and/or early-life 7, 8
Helps to maintain gastrointestinal mucosal membrane health 4, 9
Helps to support digestion and absorption of nutrients 9
Helps to maintain and support healthy immune system function 2, 8, 9
Helps to maintain and support beneficial bacteria 1, 2, 9
1. Coates et al. Encyclopedia of Dietary Supplements. Second Edition. Informa Healthcare. 2010. pp 469-478
2. Braun L & Cohen M, Herbs and Natural Supplements An Evidence-based Guide, 4th Ed, Elsevier, 2015. Pp 771-796
3. Murray M. Encyclopaedia of Nutritional Supplements, Prima Health, a division of Prima Publishing. 1996. Pp 359- 364
4. Braun L & Cohen M, Herbs and Natural Supplements An Evidence-based Guide, 4th Ed, Elsevier, 2015. Pp 771-796
5. Szajewska H et al. Meta-analysis: Lactobacillus GG for treating acute gastroenteritis in children – updated analysis of randomised controlled trials. Aliment Pharmacol Ther; 2013. 38: 467–476
6. McFarland LV. Meta-analysis of probiotics for the prevention of traveler’s diarrhea. Travel Medicine and Infectious Disease (2007) 5,97–105
7. Fooland N et al. Effect of Nutrient Supplementation on Atopic Dermatitis in Children A Systematic Review of Probiotics, Prebiotics, Formula, and Fatty Acids. JAMA DERMATOL. 2013. VOL 149 (NO. 3)
8. Lee J et al. Meta-analysis of clinical trials of probiotics for prevention and treatment of pediatric atopic dermatitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2008; 121:116-21.
9. Pizzorno JE & Murray MT, Textbook Of Natural Medicine 4th Ed. Elsevier Churchill Livingstone. 2012. Pp 979-994
10. Thomsen, M (ed). Herb Drug Nutrient, Nunomix. 2014