MSM - Methyl Sulfonyl Methane 200g
MSM enhances the benefits of vitamins, minerals and amino acids
Posted by Unknown on 3rd Aug 2012
Dr Natasha has suggested to choose vitamins, minerals and amino acids that contain some MSM in the ingredients and if there is no MSM in the ingredients, she suggests supplementing pure MSM at the same time you take your vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
MSM (99.9%) - Methyl Sulfonyl Methane 200g
What is MSM?
Methyl Sulfonyl Methane (MSM) provides a wonderful source of sulphur (sulfer), essential for detoxification and normal metabolism of neurotransmitters. Sulphur is also concentrated in the muscles, skin and bones. It is present in keratin, the tough substance in the skin, nails and hair and is necessary for making collagen, the primary constituent of cartilage and connective tissue. Most people in general are sulphur deficient and GAPS patients are no exception. Severe sulphate deficiency has been found in 95% of children who have autism. Their detoxification pathways are impaired and Dr Natasha suggests that sulphate reducing bacteria are largely responsible for this deficiency.
MSM provides the body with sulphur and softens leathery internal tissues by rebuilding connective tissue with elastic sulphur bonds. This is why MSM is now becoming so widely used for building collagen, maintaining healthy joints and support in the recovery of injuries, joint pain, inflammation and sore muscles. The collagen building properties in MSM help create smoother skin, thick hair and stronger nails. As the tissues become more permeable after using MSM for some time, the body is better able to remove toxins from the body.
If you are deficient in sulphur your body will be unable to repair or replace damaged tissue effectively and the body will try to compensate by producing abnormal cells causing illness and disease. Gastrointestinal and immune system symptoms usually result. Other symptoms such as arthritis, rheumatism, memory loss and acne are also common. Many people may notice signs associated with brittle nails and hair and dermatological skin problems that don’t easily resolve. MSM helps to detoxify the body and is needed to maintain cell membrane permeability. Proper permeability allows the cells to absorb dietary nutrients and expel waste the way our bodies should. MSM works as a free radical scavenger and
Methyl Sulfonyl Methane (MSM) is neither a drug nor a medicine. It is a food supplement which is readily absorbed by the body. MSM is an organic sulphur compound. We used to obtain much of our MSM naturaly from food but we have lost this from the introduction of over processed foods and un-natural farming. Our MSM has been laboratory tested and is certified to be 99.9% pure. There are absolutely no fillers added. MSM is an odourless, white, crystalline powder. To know whether your MSM is pure, it should resemble a white crystalline powder which dissolves easily in water. Pure MSM will drop to the bottom of the glass when added to water. If your MSM floats, it is likely that fillers and binders have been added.
Maintenance Dosage: Take up to 1 teaspoonful per day in your juice or water. We recommend you take a glass of water and lemon and add your MSM to this whilst taking your vitamins and minerals. When MSM is combined with other vitamins and minerals, maximum benefits from these vitamins are achieved.
When introducing MSM for the first time: With 5 grams measuring the equivalent to one teaspoon, we suggest the following instructions when introducing MSM.
- Start with a low dose such as ⅛ or ¼ of a teaspoon and gradually increase it to 4 to 5 grams (1 teaspoon) for adults per day and 1-2 grams per day for children.
- Take it with your meal for the first few times because there are some cases where people may feel heart burn and consuming it with meals may prevent this. Later you can take it with your juice or water.
- Sulphur plays a major part of our waste management system and if we dont have enough of it, we will struggle to eradicate waste and toxins. In contrast, if you take too much too soon, it will produce a die off reaction as your body goes into over drive in releasing too much waste all at once whilst your liver and kidneys struggle. This is why MSM should be introduced slowly and lots of water should be consumed to help flush away the toxins from the body.
- Whilst your body carries out the detoxing role, you can help by having hot baths to draw out more toxins and add Magnedium sulphate epsom salts to your bath. This can be alternated with a cup of apple cider vinegar or pure picarbonate of soda.
*Precautions: MSM should not be taken within two hours of prescription medications.
If you are taking strong blood thinning drugs such as Warfrin, only take MSM after consulting with your Doctor.
Considerations: Don’t expect a single dose of MSM to provide you with immediate results. It takes 1 – 2 weeks and sometimes a month before you feel any results. The precise dose of MSM is not that important and higher doses of MSM will not necessarily provide better results because it is specific to each case and severity of conditions, just remember to build it up slowly and be consistent with it. Some people suffering from chronic pain may need to take MSM twice a day. If taken twice daily, we recommend you take your last dose of MSM between your lunch and dinner because many people feel a boost of energy and taking it in the evening may result in a struggle to fall asleep.
Sulphur deficiencies can be associated with:
- Excessive head sweeting
- Slow wound healing
- Scar tissue
- Brittle Nails
- Brittle hair
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Lung dysfunction
- Immune dysfunction
- Joint and muscle pain
- Acne and other skin conditions
MSM has been reported to benefit the following problems
- Arthritic and joint pain: MSM may interrupt pain spasms and reduce pain and inflammation.
- Skin conditions: Sulphur is wonderful for skin problems which include Acne, Rosacea, Psoriasis, Eczema, Scleroderma.
- Psoriasis: Add a tablespoon to your bath water to help soothe inflamed areas.
- Softens skin cells and smooths skin. (often described as natures beauty mineral)
- Insect bites: Add a few tablespoons to a bath and soak for amazing results.
- Allergy sufferers: MSM can help alleviate symptoms.
- Constipation and Irritable Bowel: Assists normalization of bowel movements by increasing peristalsis action (snake like action). Helps reduce pain.
- Gum inflammation: Use after cleaning and flossing teeth as a mouth wash or simply brush your teeth and gums with it.
- Muscle pain: Helps relieve pain after exercise or muscle spasms.
- Sore back: Add a tablespoon to a bath or for smaller areas, soak affected part in a bowl.
- Hair and nail growth.
- Dr Natasha suggests that MSM can also assist in controlling parasites.